Blood Bowl Dugout

Table space is limited at my local game store and trying to get three games of Blood Bowl going simultaneously can be tight. One reason for this is the size of the GW provided dugouts, which take up some serious real estate. I decided that I would try to make a smaller dugout to give us some elbow room and that I would build it up to make it a display piece as well. This is a basic model but it works great.

Overall

For this project I used the following:

-MDF hardboard cut to 18mm x 30mm

-A sheet of 5mm foam board

-Popsicle sticks

-Match sticks

-Steel sheet cut 6.25” x 2.25” (optional)

-Small rare earth magnets

-Cereal box card

-Textured shelf liner (optional)

-Hot glue gun/glue

-PVA Glue

-Static grass or preferred basing material.

Template

First, using the above template as a guide, I measured and cut out the wall sections for the dugout. Remember; don’t press to hard with the knife because you will warp the foam board. Instead, drag the long edge across 2-3 times to get good cuts. This will also help prevent the foam from getting pulled out by the blade.

Next, I dry fit all of the walls to make sure everything would line up properly. I hot glued the walls together but without gluing them to the base. Bear in mind, the back wall will rest against the exterior edge of the base while the side walls will rest ON TOP of the base. Once the frame was assembled, I hot glued pieces of popsicle sticks around the frame to cover seams and joins and used match sticks on the interior walls to the same effect.

Basing and detail work came next. Using the room measurements, I cut out pieces of cobblestone textured shelf liner to lay in the room interiors. I dry fit and made adjustments before gluing them down with white glue. Id recommend placing some weight on top of them help them get a firm bond during the drying process. Using the same material, I cut odd shapes out to give the walls some depth and variety. I found that cutting them straight out leave the edges with a boxy, unnatural look. I fixed this by cutting rough diagonal cuts to remove the hard corners. These pieces were randomly glued around the walls.

Walls

I worked on the scoreboard while the glue was drying. I laid down two sticks, and glued a cross beam to the back above the height of the lip of the back wall. I drilled a small hole in the center of one stick and glued a magnet in with super glue. I gave the sticks a roughhewn look by running a box cutter along all the stick edges to give them uneven bevels. I then glued all of these to the front of the stick frame, making sure that the stick with the magnet was in the middle of the stack.

Scoreboard

After all the glue was dried I base coated the model with Army Painter Uniform Gray. I then airbrushed Agrax Earthshade, followed by Biel-Tan Green, over all the exposed wood before hitting them with a quick drybrush of Steel Legion Drab. The stones on the walls were then given a quick airbrush highlight. I pre-shaded the cobblestones in the rooms before base coating them with Uniform Gray. I determined where I wanted the steel sheet to go and glued it into place with super glue before dulling it with Army Painter Leather Brown. After all the paint was dry, I glued the model to the base and used Stirland Mud to smooth the transition from the stones to what would become the grassy area.

The dugout was based with PVA and static grass to match my models. I cut eight strips of cereal box card and scored them in the center to make the marker signs. These were painted and then glued along the center of the steel plate with PVA.

The final step for the dugout was to make the appropriate signs. I did this with the above mentioned techniques before painting them. I opted to use darker colors to make them stand out from the rest of the piece. These were glued in with hot glue and allowed to dry.

Scoreboard 2

The score counters were made with small squares of steel and sticks hot glued in place. They were painted to match the board they would be stuck to. I only made six counters but I’ve never been lucky enough to score than many touchdowns either. Additional bits like the bench and coffin were made out of scrap popsicle sticks and balsa wood.

Hopefully this inspires you to make your own dugout. Originally I was going to make them personalized for each team but I have some ideas on how to use the scoreboard frame to add modular team signs. If it works I’ll make that a future post. Other good ideas I’ve seen are decorative paper handbills glued into place, flags, and so forth.  Good luck and have fun!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s